Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Daring Delaney

IMG_5134

Delaney loves to try new things, volunteer for something, and go first every time she can.  She has such an outgoing personality and is fearless.  She asked to be buried at the beach and begged to go tubing on the Intercoastal waterway.  In camp this week she is in a class with 2 and 3 year olds, one of the younger ones, and they are doing Science Camp.  She is the first they say to push the button on the blender to make soap, dig her hand in to squish out the water to make paper, jump in line to get her face painted…etc.  She isn’t afraid of anything and that makes me afraid. 

How do we, as Americans, teach our children how to be afraid enough to be cautious?  I don’t want them to meet a stranger because I want them to be able to learn from everyone, help those that need it, etc.  But I don’t want them to get abducted, raped, or abused either.  How do we shelter them, but also let them shine with their outgoing personalities…I don’t want to hold her back (I am sure Blake will some though, he is VERY cautious in all he does). 

One out of four little girls in America are touched inappropriately in same way.  One out of FOUR!  That is so scary!  One out of six little boys are.  I already know one person that has had this occur and it’s so sad and makes me want to throw up!  Usually it’s someone that child trusts and us as parents trust with our child.  It’s that one on one time that is so dangerous.  We have to protect them from that and teach them to understand about private parts and how they are PRIVATE!  Even at a young, young age.  Unfortunately this world is not what is was when it comes to being safe 10, 20, 30 years ago.  Things have to be done differently.  I pray that neither of my children will have to go through this and I plan to do all I can to keep them safe, but we need to spread the word and hope that all parents teach their kids what is inappropriate.  Who knows when another child, teen, adult, won’t know when enough is enough.  Teach your child to say no and mean no!

No comments:

Post a Comment