Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Proposal...

And there's the ring!  We went to the beach with my family
shortly after we were engaged for a week.  This was taken during
a mini-golf game (that I'm sure I won)!
 Kevin and I had only been dating 4.5 months, but we already knew we were meant to be together the rest of our lives.  One night in early March we had a conversation, a long one, especially for Kevin, about our future and specifically where we would live (I was thinking about buying a house at the time, but wondered if I should include him in it).  We had a camping trip planned in May and for some reason I thought he might pop the question then.
We came home to Rock Hill for a short visit the last Sunday in March for church and lunch with my parents.  After lunch mom wanted to go to a store to look for silverware for the beach house, dad wanted to go too, Kevin said he would go back to the house and watch tv with him, but he insisted to go shopping.  Come to find out later he was trying to get him alone to ask him if he could marry me.  Later that afternoon mom took me into the bedroom and gave me her original diamond that my dad gave her when he proposed.  She said she really liked Kevin and didn't know if we were thinking about it or not, but she wanted me to have it to decide if I wanted to use it for an engagement ring one day, or for something else.  I was thrilled!!!!  I told Kevin about it that day and said I'll just stick it in the bottom of my jewelry box if you ever want to use it for anything.
We visited his friends down in Charleston the summer after
we got engaged.  We love to travel together.
The next day at work I got a phone call from Kevin that pulled me out of art class with my kids.  I was worried because his classroom was right across the hall and I thought he was in there! He was calling to see where the diamond was, he said he was working on something for our 6 month anniversary and needed to get it to the jeweler that day.
Come to find out later...he had an engagement ring designed online and was going to order it that day because he wanted to propose the night before April Fool's Day.  We had a plan to fool our co-workers on April Fool's Day, I had bought a fake ring and everything.  We decided to go to Bull Market Wed night just to help pull off the plan.  So he had to get the diamond and get it made into a ring in 2 days!  He took it to the jeweler his mom uses for everything and they said they'd have it for him on Wed at noon.  He went to pick it up and the store was closed, he flipped out.  He told his mom to go over there that afternoon, he had wrestling, and go in there and find that diamond even if everyone is laying on the floor dead.  Success, the ring was ready!  She got it, in a long steam rose box and all!  He later got rid of that tacky box and Chris gave him one she had.
A shower we had at Fulmer Middle School where we met.
That night on our way to dinner about 8:30 after wrestling, he said the pendent was ready that he ordered and wanted to swing by his mom's house and get it, so we did, but I had to stay in the car.  We went to the restaurant and he didn't mention the "pendent" after that.  I still had NO IDEA what was about to happen.  He was so antsy while waiting to be seated, he's never like that.  We sat down and ordered an appetizer and drinks.  I said something about I guess we're getting engaged now (the April Fool's joke).  He said would you seriously really want to marry me or something to that natured and I said of course, why?  He stood up and walked over to me and got on one knee, opened the box, the ring fell out, and he asked me to marry him after telling me that he wants to spend the rest of his life with me and loves me, etc.  It was beautiful!  I called my parents, who already knew because he had called my dad on Monday morning while taking the diamond to the jeweler since he couldn't get him alone on Sunday in person.  I called a couple close friends, but it was already 9:00.  It was close to 10pm when we left so most everyone I had to tell the next day (April Fool's Day), that wasn't easy to convince people over the phone especially.
Everyone was so excited and happy for us.  The kids at school were funny, they would come by and say are you really going to marry Mr. Davis and I would say yes and they would ask why.  We enjoyed our next year planning the wedding, having showers in Rock Hill and Columbia with friends and family.  I would relive that year anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment